*squee*

NSFW Apr. 14th, 2006 02:35 pm
cinderlily: (squee!)
[personal profile] cinderlily
So today I go to get my mail and the postal worker is there. It isn't the usual guy we have, but a girl instead and when I sit to wait for her to finish she turned to me and signed "Sorry, I am deaf, I can't hear you." I smiled, nodded and said "That's okay, I didn't say anything. But I know sign language." She looked surprised and we ended up talking for a few minutes. (I asked if she went to Coffee night, and she said she would if she didn't work 12 hours a day 6 days a week. I told her my name and she told me her name is Jana.) I ran to the front office (My PS2 was there!) and then came back by to say goodbye.

Here is where the Squee comes in. I had been nervous the entire conversation that I was floundering like no other, but when I came back she asked me how long I had been signing. I said a little under two years and she looked shocked. She said, "You are very impressive for only two years." I blushed and said I was hoping to become an interpreter so it is encouraging to hear that and she smiled back and said, "Good! I am really glad (well, I assume so, it was a sign that looked like favorite, but I wasn't familiar with it), we need good interpreters out there."

It made me float on air to my car and smile ever since (two or so hours).

Liz

Date: 2006-04-14 10:05 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] spoiledjap.livejournal.com
Baby you will make a great interpreter someday.

Date: 2006-04-14 11:31 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] overxthestars.livejournal.com
That's the coolest thing ever! I bet you it made her day a little better too. :)

Date: 2006-04-15 12:42 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] giasone80.livejournal.com
Jana is awesome. I've known her since I was a toddler.

Date: 2006-04-15 01:29 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
What a small world :) I swear, everyone knows everyone in Deaf Culture. It so funny because I notice it too in Jewish Culture, I always deny it and then people mention someone and I think "HEY! I know them!"

Date: 2006-04-15 06:22 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] bubbles83.livejournal.com
That's really cool.

Date: 2006-04-15 06:28 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] boggit.livejournal.com
I think that's so awesome! How cool are you?? seriously!

In other news, can I have your address? you can email it to me if you don't want to post it in your journal---I have a card for you that is languishing on my desk.

October 2016

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
2324252627 2829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2026 12:35 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios