Title: John Sheppard: Who is Not Lolita
Fandom: SGA
Pairing: John/Rodney
Summary: “You made her a mix CD?” Rodney marveled.
Author's Note: This is a sequel to "Katie Brown: Who Deserves Better than Rodney McKay", because apparently I only write sequels when I don't plan to. Beta'ed by the ever sweet
Edit: had to cut and redo it cause the font was wonky.
John grimaced, feeling the need to let his eyes dart around the mess hall. No one was looking, thankfully and through gritted teeth he explained. “Look, I felt bad. It was the least I could do.” A smug smile the likes of which John planned on avoiding outside of sex passed over Rodney’s face. “What?”
“Sorry, I was just unaware that I was dating a 12 year old girl. I feel very Humbert Humbert,” Rodney mused. John couldn’t think of a comeback that wouldn’t, in fact, help Rodney’s argument and instead glared in a way that would send most of his recruits running. Staring down at his breakfast he realized that he really shouldn’t be that shocked that in a relationship with Rodney the honeymoon phase had a short half life.
A silence fell between them that was just long enough for John to hope that the subject was dropped. Rodney, however, didn’t exactly get that point and looked up almost a full two minutes later with a curious glance, “Wait, what was on it?”
“Rodney,” John groaned, “Drop it.”
“I just want to point out that I highly doubt she would be much of a Johnny Cash fan…”
John gave a measured casual glance around the mess, hesitating just slightly over the back of Katie Brown. He looked down at his food and smiled smugly. “She seems to be satisfied with it.”
“What?” Rodney turned around, dropping any hopes of John of keeping covert. A few moments of staring were enough to make Rodney turn back around and say. “Wait, that beat is not a country beat.”
“How would you know?”
“Because she is tapping her toes and moving her head, and oh my g-d, John,” Rodney’s eyes doubled. “Did you give her RAP?”
The look on Rodney’s face reminded John of the ‘Bitter Beer face’ commercials from a few years back, and if he hadn’t been annoyed and embarrassed he would have laughed. He took a swig of his milk, and thought of his best exit strategy. A glance to his watch told him they weren’t heading off world for nearly three hours, which left him with three options. First, explain the mix to Rodney, which would include merciless mocking rights for at least the next month. Second, he could make up some meeting that he really didn’t have and that Rodney would see through in an instant and therefore be mad at John for probably longer than a month. Third, he could find a way to keep Rodney too occupied to talk. Another swig of his drink and he gave Rodney his best eyebrow raise.
He leaned his head down towards Rodney, just enough to seem innocent. “We have three hours. Would you rather talk or… not talk? Personally, I would like the second option better, but we could debate rap if you rather.”
Rodney leaned himself towards John, his hand on the top of his hand. “You win, for now.”
And John knew he is in trouble, when that was the hottest phrase he has heard in a very long time.
(*)
Two hours and a quick nap later, John slowly woke to the sound of clicking and soft barely there music. He half opened one eye to see Rodney with a set of earphones plugged into his laptop and an extremely amused look on his face. This couldn’t be a good thing.
“Rodney,” John sat up. Rodney turned to see him and a laugh escaped his lips like he had been fighting it for a while. “What the hell are you doing?”
Taking off the headphones Rodney practically crowed, “Just listening to the CD you made Katie. Very stealth, by the way, making it in iTunes and labeling it KB. The Pentagon would have had a hard time, but somehow I managed it.”
John wiped a hand across his face and let out a sigh, “I thought I said drop it.”
“I’m not even going to ask where you got Cindy Lauper and Pat Benatar,” Rodney ignored him, pure glee causing his voice to be almost an octave higher. “But instead I am going to ask to burn a copy. Jeanie’s birthday is coming up and...”
John took his pillow and tossed it deftly across the room, landing just over Rodney’s face. While Rodney made noise of protest John stood and walked the four steps to his computer. He unplugged it and shut the lid in a way that he hoped would shut Rodney up.
“I’m just saying…” Rodney started again, but John pressed his lips onto Rodney’s as a stop gap measure. For a moment John mused that life would have been easier if he had been able to use this three years ago, but Rodney’s hand on his back drained the thought from his brain. They half stumbled back towards the bed, John’s knees buckling at the side of it. Rodney pulled back, “I just have one more question?”
John glared as he leaned back on his hands, “Rod-ney.”
“NO!” he raised his hand ups in defense, but his smile was self satisfied. “Just… did you get the mandatory glasses with the Dashboard CD?” John made a move to get off the bed and get dressed, but Rodney pulled him back down. “Seriously, that might be hot… and come on, if I am going to be going for guys now I might as well reap all the benefits.”
John debated on whether he should even bother being offended by the fact that he said things like, ‘If I am going to go for guys now,’ in the same tone that he would use for, ‘If I am going to use a pen instead of a pencil’. Like somehow breaking down the validity of the sexuality it had taken John years to come to terms with, but instead rolled his eyes and pressed his face forward. Perhaps as a form of punishment, John decided that he wouldn’t mention the pair of thick reading glasses he kept in his bedside table. Yet.
no subject
Date: 2007-04-30 02:03 am (UTC)You already know all the parts that made me laugh hysterically so there's no point in copying them again, but this seriously is awesome.
Also, I may change my LJ name to Lulu Isobel :) Hahahaha.
no subject
Date: 2007-04-30 03:12 am (UTC)Thank you, again, for not only the beta but also just for being generally awesome. (Jenna, how are you so awesome?)
no subject
Date: 2007-04-30 02:20 am (UTC)As a mix tape maker, I feel John's pain. You can't help the bad music that fits with the theme of a mix! *g*
no subject
Date: 2007-04-30 03:16 am (UTC)Thank you for the review!
no subject
Date: 2007-04-30 02:25 am (UTC)1. John + emo glasses = OMG YES.
2. John having "Sexyback" on his iPod? So completely true.
3. Katie Brown naming her ipod after a plant? My own personal canon, now.
In otherwords, you are my new favorite person. Ever.
Icon LOVE!
Date: 2007-04-30 03:19 am (UTC)2) And he rocks it while he runs. Rocks it good. :)
3) I've never been in someone's canon before. That makes me giddy!
Also, thanks for the reply! :D I'm glad you liked it.
no subject
Date: 2007-04-30 03:02 am (UTC)On another, somewhat related note, Rodney was on SG-1 on Friday, actually, it was an alternate Rodney, but the fact remains it was David Hewlett with glasses and John!hair. Dear Lord, was he hot. :)
no subject
Date: 2007-04-30 03:22 am (UTC)Speaking of guh. Icon. Every time I see it I just.. guh. And the fact that his son is in the picture... I just don't know if that makes it hotter or not.
And thanks for the review. :)
no subject
Date: 2007-04-30 03:29 am (UTC)That's his son in the picture with him? I never knew who it was as I've never seen a full sized picture of it. I found the icon randomly and HAD TO HAVE IT, because...well, the obvious reasons. And your icon? It's love.
Oh, absolutely no problem to review, as my review was not much of a review at all. I hate that I can not manage to leave constructive, well thought out reviews. They always come out as fangirl-from-hell reviews. *facepalm*
no subject
Date: 2007-04-30 03:21 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-04-30 03:22 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-04-30 04:15 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-05-01 06:45 am (UTC)Again though, FOOTY!
no subject
Date: 2007-04-30 05:20 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-05-01 06:47 am (UTC)Thanks! :D
no subject
Date: 2007-04-30 08:28 am (UTC)Just listening to the CD you made Katie. Very stealth, by the way, making it in iTunes and labeling it KB. The Pentagon would have had a hard time, but somehow I managed it.”
Hee! I love gleeful mocking Rodney. And thanks again for the 'mix tape', have been enjoying the music! And will enjoy it even more as I picture John in glasses seriously considering each track as he burnt it to cd.
What we do EVERY night, Pinky.
Date: 2007-05-01 06:49 am (UTC)I am glad you liked the CD! I have been rocking out to Sexyback for the past week. ;)
And thanks!
no subject
Date: 2007-04-30 11:36 am (UTC)*grins* Very excellent (as was the companion story!)
:D
no subject
Date: 2007-05-01 06:50 am (UTC)(And you do get glasses with the purchase of every Dashboard CD, I swear! Its true! And... it is kind of hot. ;))
no subject
Date: 2007-04-30 02:09 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-05-01 06:51 am (UTC)And thanks for the review! :D
no subject
Date: 2007-04-30 08:33 pm (UTC)(My John icon is checking your Rodney icon out.
Date: 2007-05-01 06:53 am (UTC)That being said, thank you so much! You gave me a goofy grin, and yea. I am glad you liked it. I promise I will never not be me. As that would be weird. ;)
Re: (My John icon is checking your Rodney icon out.
Date: 2007-05-01 05:02 pm (UTC)Re: (My John icon is checking your Rodney icon out.
Date: 2007-05-02 02:50 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-06-22 04:18 pm (UTC)