cinderlily: (atwt :: happily ever after)
[personal profile] cinderlily
Title: perfectly imperfect
Pairing: Luke Snyder/Dr. Reid Oliver
Rating: PG
Summary: Reid is really bad with dates. (Silly fluff)
Author's Notes: Written for [livejournal.com profile] schmoop_bingo. No real spoilers from this last week as I was in Chicago and am playing catch up, mostly this is just future fluffy fic. ;) Given the [livejournal.com profile] openice seal of approval and a beta by [livejournal.com profile] reevolutions. All mistakes are mine.

The day had started out pretty well. He had performed a surgery that went above even his own expectations. He’d gotten a surprise lunch visit from an exceptionally cheery Katie, who’d brought him a sandwich, the size of his own head and kept the comments to herself for once.

Reid counted all of it as a collective win and figured he would top it off with a beer and his boyfriend. It would have been perfect.

Except Luke showed up at work dressed like they were going on a date and he hadn’t actually remembered if they had one planned. Then he handed Reid a suit and winked at him, which was just disconcerting, and he started to get the sinking feeling that he forgot something. (This was never a good thing.)

Luke led him to his car, all the while babbling happily about the day's events like he always did and Reid wracked his brain. No dinners, meetings nor dates sprang to mind, but that really didn’t say much. As they got onto the highway headed towards Chicago (crap, what was in Chicago?) he tried texting Katie but then she wouldn’t answer and some best friend she turned out to be.

The radio was playing classical music, a piece he really enjoyed actually, and wasn’t it just Luke’s great way to make him feel guiltier through music.

He bit the bullet, flicking off the radio. “I’m sorry.”

“Wha?” Luke looked down at where Reid was still pressing the off button. “It’s just background music, change it to whatever you want.”

“Not the…” Reid rolled his eyes. “I wasn’t talking about the music.”

Luke cocked an eyebrow at him.

“Look, I’ve run through the list and I give up. Our anniversary… thing… was in July when you took me to that awful restaurant with quarter sized portions at ridiculous prices…”

Luke broke in. “That was a five star restaurant, Reid. And we went to Al’s after…”

“Whatever. Your birthday is in May, your mom made that meatloaf and Emma made pie. We’re done with Christmas, New Years and Valentine’s Day, thankfully. So just tell me what I forgot this time and what the guilt time frame is.”

Luke had his head turned to check the traffic, covering Reid’s chance of getting a look at his reaction. He was tense, a bit on edge. He’d warned Luke about his lack of a romance bone but always seemed to feel guilty when he messed it up. (It was the his damn earnest eyes, the ones that always seemed to make his stomach tense and remove his usual abundance of common sense.)

“Reid,” Luke turned back to reveal an amused smile. “It’s March.”

“You’re in recovery,” he chided, getting enough balance back to put on his game face. “I refuse to enable you by celebrating St. Patrick’s Day.”

Luke sighed. “That’s next week. Well, in nine days. Today is March 8th. Ring a bell?”

He blinked. “Wait, March 8th?”

“Yeah,” Luke reached a hand out and rubbed at the back of his neck. If he was ever asked, Reid would call the massage condescending and a little annoying but as always he leaned a little into the touch. “No guilt time frames for your own birthday.”

“… I told you I was bad with dates?”
Page 1 of 2 << [1] [2] >>

Date: 2010-08-14 04:46 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] rhiannonhero.livejournal.com
That is the best icon of all time, and I have its twin. I named it "Reid Loves Luke".

Edited Date: 2010-08-14 04:46 am (UTC)

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] http://users.livejournal.com/_alicesprings/ - Date: 2010-08-14 04:48 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com - Date: 2010-08-14 05:35 am (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] mpw515.livejournal.com - Date: 2010-08-14 05:23 pm (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2010-08-14 04:45 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] rhiannonhero.livejournal.com
LOL! I loved it! Made me smile and laugh and I can totally see him forgetting his own birthday! :) So cute! :D

Date: 2010-08-14 05:37 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
I was torn, at first sure he was the type to remember if only for the cake but then I realized that he wants cake every day. He buys himself the cake, screw the date. ;) So yes, he'd forget his own birthday. Silly Reid.

Thank you! :)

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] pghbekka.livejournal.com - Date: 2010-08-15 05:47 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2010-08-14 04:47 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] oh-amelia.livejournal.com
too cute. I love that he forgot his own birthday. lol

Date: 2010-08-14 05:39 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
He did say he was bad with dates. And if I track back, we must have missed his birthday on TV and lord. He probably just spaced it or didn't tell anyone. REID. *sigh* :)

Thank you so much!

Date: 2010-08-14 05:16 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mech-bull.livejournal.com
Yes! It is so like Reid to forget his own birthday.

Date: 2010-08-14 05:40 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
At least he's an equal opportunity airhead about dates. ;)

Glad you liked it. :D

Date: 2010-08-14 05:22 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cindergal.livejournal.com
Hee! Oh, Reid. Adorable schmoop. :-)

Date: 2010-08-14 05:40 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
Thanks. :D

Date: 2010-08-14 05:49 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] klaxlackles.livejournal.com
“Whatever. Your birthday is in August, your mom made that meatloaf and Emma made pie. We’re done with Christmas, New Years and Valentine’s Day, thankfully. So just tell me what I forgot this time and what the guilt time frame is.”

LOL!!!!! this was genius
im soooo in love with this fic...reid forgot is own birthday!! lol..u made my morning! thanks

Date: 2010-08-14 11:50 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
Glad I could make your morning. :) (From the time stamp it looks like EARLY morning, LORD!)

I was going to have him forget Luke's, but really... Forgetting his own birthday is ... just him to me. :) I'm glad it translated!

Thank you. <3

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] klaxlackles.livejournal.com - Date: 2010-08-15 05:23 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2010-08-14 05:58 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] irlandesak.livejournal.com
That's perfect fluff. I loved it.

Date: 2010-08-14 11:51 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
Aww, thank you. :) Fluff is my favorite. ♥

Date: 2010-08-14 06:58 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] sockich.livejournal.com
This is my face right now -> :DDDDDD People at work are looking at me a bit funny but it's OK, because this is so adorable it more than makes up for it. :)

Also, I love how Reid remembers all the anniversaries by the food, that's brilliant.

Date: 2010-08-14 11:54 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
It's how I remember weddings, omg I can't believe I'm admitting to this, but like... My family? Has had a LOT OF WEDDINGS. So people saying, "You know the one that had the purple theme?" I've got nothing. But they say, "It had the salmon and those red potatoes" and I'm like, "OH HELL YEAH I REMEMBER THAT." ... I am a nerd. ;)

So my face is :DDDD too! Thank you! ♥

Date: 2010-08-14 07:08 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] 1faghag.livejournal.com
Absolutely fabulous!!!!! I forget my own BD all the time. I just don't believe in it. I'm 29 & I'm not moving so no need to celebrate. But I can so see Reid forgetting. Great fluff!!! I love it!!!

Date: 2010-08-14 11:55 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
I count DOWN to my birthday. I'm a huge birthday nerd. My husband hates his and thus tries to forget it and it bugs me SO MUCH MORE than if he forgot mine, weirdly. Cause.. well. I'm happy he was born. I want to celebrate dang it! ;) (Though I have 3 years till I hit the 29-30 conundrum and I might change my mind then.)

I'm glad you liked it! Thank you!

Date: 2010-08-14 08:07 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] adamwolf.livejournal.com
As they got onto the highway headed towards Chicago (crap, what was in Chicago?) he tried texting Katie but then she wouldn’t answer and some best friend she turned out to be.

Had a hard time getting past this sentence: it's so pure win.

Really nice story!

Date: 2010-08-14 11:58 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
YAY! :) I love Katie. I wish I trusted my version of her voice enough to get her into more fic but mostly I love that she kind of hijacked Reid into a friendship. He had no choice and for that I LOVE HER.

Thank you. ♥

Date: 2010-08-14 08:57 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] suzvoy.livejournal.com
LOVE <3

Date: 2010-08-14 11:58 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
Aww. :) Thanks!

Date: 2010-08-14 09:24 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] me-and-thee.livejournal.com


I can totally picture Reid forgetting about his own birthday but actually remembering Luke's.

Date: 2010-08-15 12:01 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
I am 99% that between Katie and Lily he would NEVER be allowed to actually entirely forget Luke's birthday. They would start tag teaming it like six weeks early and then Katie would drag him to get a gift and ... yes. ;)



THANK YOU!

Date: 2010-08-14 01:07 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ltklo.livejournal.com
Sweet! And I love how Reid associates special days with the food he ate \o/

Date: 2010-08-15 12:07 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
Thank you. :)

Yeah, Reid seems like he could tell you all the good places to eat on campus wayyyy before he could tell you where the parties were. ;)

Date: 2010-08-14 01:11 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] traciamc.livejournal.com
Thank you - this was ADORABLE! I love that he started to panic thinking he screwed up again!

Date: 2010-08-15 12:08 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
Aww. You're welcome and thank you. :)

Date: 2010-08-14 01:16 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] rhiannonhero.livejournal.com
I've read this several times now because I enjoyed it so much. There are just little things that keep striking me as really right. For example:

He’d gotten a surprise lunch visit from an exceptionally cheery Katie, who’d brought him a sandwich, the size of his own head and kept the comments to herself for once.

Katie was there for his birthday! LOL!

Love how he remembers everything by the food! Fantastic!!! One tiny thing:

“Whatever. Your birthday is in August, your mom made that meatloaf and Emma made pie.

Luke was actually born in May on the show. I only point this out since you went to the trouble of making Reid a Pisces. Otherwise, I'd just not mention it.

“That was a five star restaurant, Reid. And we went to Al’s after…”

There is just so much awesome about that exchange. Like I loved Reid's comment and Luke's reply, and the fact that they went to Als, and that Reid knew it was for their anniversary thing. LOL!

(It was the his damn earnest eyes, the ones that always seemed to make his stomach tense and remove his usual abundance of common sense.)

TRUE FAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loved this ever so! Absolutely charming!!

Date: 2010-08-15 12:11 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
Make me blush why don't you? :)

Thanks for catching the birthday, I don't remember where I got that he was born in August? For some reason it was just in my head? I don't know. But thanks for the catch! :D

And I'm a total anti-high end restaurants because.. I don't like the fact that you're supposed to eat this stuff that generally isn't that much better and you pay SO MUCH. So I kind of love that Luke tried to be all fancy and then they both were like, "Um. Al's?" :)

But seriously. THANK YOU. :D You made me grin like a fool. ♥

Date: 2010-08-14 01:31 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] snowmore.livejournal.com
AAwwwww!! Thank goodness for Luke in his life.

Love it!

Date: 2010-08-15 12:14 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
Thank you. :)

(And yes, I get all dorky sad thinking about who Reid was before this. Lonely and stubborn but brilliant.)

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] snowmore.livejournal.com - Date: 2010-08-15 12:29 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2010-08-14 01:45 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] pabwecg.livejournal.com
Another wonderful "future-established-Luke-and-Reid" fic...God, I love it.

Date: 2010-08-15 12:14 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
They're my guiltiest of pleasures, glad to share. :) Thank you!

Date: 2010-08-14 01:52 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] shadownyc.livejournal.com
LOL -- This was adorable. :)

Date: 2010-08-15 12:20 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
Thanks. :)

Date: 2010-08-14 02:15 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] heniki.livejournal.com
oh what a sweetheart, I just want to cuddle him for forgetting his own birthday. And I want to cuddle Luke for being all loving and patient and understanding (and a little condescending). And then I want to give you a big hug for the St Patty's dialogue that made me laugh. And then I'm going to gather the fic close and squeeze it because I loved it so. Just the perfect amount of everyday domestic life with humour thrown in. :)

Date: 2010-08-15 12:22 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
I always appreciate a good hug! :) I'm glad you liked it. I kind of second guessed the St. Patty's Day remark, I know recovery isn't something to joke about but the two of them have that kind of rapport and I like that he isn't afraid to bring it up.

And : Just the perfect amount of everyday domestic life with humour thrown in. :)?

Probably the best compliment I could ever want. Thank you so much!

Date: 2010-08-14 02:24 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ally-6677.livejournal.com
It's funny how Reid's birthday seemed so perfect until he was in the car with Luke, trying to remember what was so special about the day.

And Katie showing up - aww!

I love how Reid forgot his own birthday. Maybe he was never given enough food on his past birthdays to remember the occasion. That's how he seems to remember other occasions.

Date: 2010-08-15 12:24 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
Probably when he was a kid he got all the cakes and awesomeness, but as an adult he seems to have led a pretty solitary existence so no food to remind him! Poor Reid. (I'd make him cupcakes!)

Thank you for reading! :D

Date: 2010-08-14 02:44 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] smoothlikebutta.livejournal.com
Hee! So cute. I can see Reid forgetting his own birthday.

Date: 2010-08-15 12:26 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
Aww. :) Thank you! ♥

Date: 2010-08-14 04:12 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] odisowner.livejournal.com
Memories of important dates linked to food! Soooo Reid. This was great.

Date: 2010-08-15 12:27 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
Hehe, I thought so. :D

Thank you!

Date: 2010-08-14 05:13 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] starryeyedmagic.livejournal.com
haha aw, oh Reid! I can totally see this happening!

Date: 2010-08-15 12:30 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
He makes me all silly, I swear! He's such a jerk but there is this layer of "Yes, he is a jerk, but mostly he's just oblivious." And it KILLS ME! ;)

Thank you!

Date: 2010-08-14 05:31 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ladyoflisquill.livejournal.com
Aww, of course Reid would forget his own birthday. Bless him!

Date: 2010-08-15 12:32 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
I want to pinch his cheeks and make him dinner on his worst days, seriously. I haven't been this head over heels in dorky love for a character since... well. Archie. Okay, but no fair. It's ARCHIE. ;)

Thank you, by the way. :D

Date: 2010-08-15 11:41 am (UTC)
ariadne83: cropped from official schematics (ATWT reid oliver)
From: [personal profile] ariadne83
Hahaha oh Reid!

Date: 2010-08-16 04:02 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cinderlily.livejournal.com
Thanks! :)
Page 1 of 2 << [1] [2] >>

October 2016

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
2324252627 2829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2026 01:03 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios